Dundee chiefs have vowed to voice "serious concerns" to the Scottish FA over play not being stopped to allow treatment to Michael Mellon after a nasty head knock.

The on-loan Burnley striker was stretchered off against St Johnstone after a challenge from Liam Gordon.

Mellon, 20, received treatment from Dundee's Dr McCormack who swiftly entered the pitch to provide vital medical support.

Tony Docherty hailed McCormack's actions after the match wasn't immediately stopped by referee David Munro.

Now, the club will demand answers from the Scottish FA as to why the match was not instantly stopped after the "dreadful head clash".

Dundee also confirmed Mellon has been discharged from hospital and will follow concussion protocols.

A Dundee statement read: "Michael sustained a significant head injury in yesterday’s match against St Johnstone, but thanks to the swift intervention by Dr McCormack and the medical team, his condition was stabilised and he was transferred to Ninewells Hospital Accident and Emergency Department.

READ MORE: Dundee 2 St Johnstone 1: Jordan McGhee nets late winner

"Following specialist investigations he was discharged with appropriate head injury advice. He will continue his recovery under the supervision of the club’s medical team in accordance with concussion protocols.

"The club is today writing to the Scottish FA in the strongest terms to express its serious concerns that play was not stopped to allow immediate attention to Michael after what was clearly a dreadful head clash."

Dundee boss Docherty had branded the challenge as "almost life-endangering" as he blasted the handling of the head knock by referee David Munro.

He said: “He’s not great. I’d like the referee to comment on that.

“For me, that was almost life-endangering that challenge. And to not even get a booking for it…

“Michael is a top boy in our team and I’m concerned for him because he took a really bad blow to the back of the head.

“Luckily we have a brilliant doctor here, Dr McCormack, who didn’t pay any attention to the referee and ran onto the pitch.

“It was a sour note at the end of the game and the player’s welfare is the most important thing.”