RANGERS came from behind to see off Motherwell and maintain their unbeaten Premiership run under boss Michael Beale.

Kevin van Veen and Bevis Mugabi were on target for the Steelmen either side of a James Tavernier free-kick and header from Fashion Sakala. Todd Cantwell scored his first goal for Rangers and Malik Tillman completed the scoring to secure all three points.

Callum Slattery saw red for picking up two yellow cards on a disappointing day for the hosts. It was a first defeat in five fixtures and for new Fir Park boss Stuart Kettlewell.


Another game, another win and another job done. The momentum continues to build for Rangers under Beale’s guidance and this was a day where they showed different sides to their game.

Falling behind once again asked questions of their mentality. The answers were found as a result of their skill and this was a thoroughly deserved victory to maintain the relentless Premiership run.

Keeper Liam Kelly was culpable at the first goal but the free-kick from Tavernier was perfectly placed. The same can be said of the captain’s cross for the second as Sakala headed home.

Just minutes after seeing their lead eroded as Mugabi levelled, Rangers again battled back in adversity and Cantwell opened his account after a penalty box scramble. The fourth from Tillman extended the advantage and Rangers were well worth the margin of the win in a fixture they never looked like losing.

READ MORE: Ben Davies makes Rangers prediction and reflects on Liverpool lessons

This triumph wasn’t as impressive as those earned at Tynecastle or Easter Road but it was another notable three points on the road for Beale. The form away from home has been an issue at various times over recent seasons and being able to take care of business in this manner certainly bodes well for the future as this side continues to evolve and improve.


Beale had hinted at the likely absence of Nicolas Raskin at his pre-match press conference on Thursday. There was a feeling that the midfielder was touch and go for this one after sustaining a quad injury last weekend and he did indeed miss out as John Lundstram came into the side.

The other switch saw Ridvan Yilmaz replace Borna Barisic. The Croatian spoke about missing this fixture after the Raith win as he looked ahead to returning home for the birth of his baby boy and Beale had to change a back four that has been settled and fairly solid for some time now.

The absences of Raskin and Barisic were noticeable but they never looked like being costly for Rangers. The first half was somewhat turgid at times but Beale’s side stepped it up after emerging from the dressing room for the second period.

Rangers needed more from their attacking quartet after the break and Sakala and Cantwell contributed with crucial goals. Ryan Kent grew into the encounter but Antonio Colak could have no complaints about being replaced by Alfredo Morelos for the final 25 minutes.

The Colombian had a hand in the fourth goal but all the credit goes to Tillman after he produced a lovely finish to find the top corner. It was quite the way to mark his return to the team and certainly a positive for Beale to take away from Fir Park.


The Union Bears were noticeable by their absence last weekend after being refused entry to Ibrox for the Scottish Cup win over Raith Rovers. On that occasion, the group only had themselves to blame as a crass banner – which depicted a police officer as a pig and referenced the ‘All Cops Are B*******’ slogan – was rightly turned away at the gate by Rangers security staff.

The group later posted a statement on social media with another banner that labelled Ross Wilson as the ‘director of failure’. A week on, the protests against the sporting director and Stewart Robertson were stepped up once again.

Thousands of individual cards with images of Wilson and Robertson were placed on seats in the build-up to kick-off. As the teams took to the pitch, the overwhelming majority of them were held aloft as a larger version that proclaimed it was ‘time for change’ was spread across the away stand.

Those calls will no doubt grow louder in the coming weeks. Ultimately, it will be for those around the boardroom table at Ibrox to determine if they choose to pay any attention or to act going forward.


The several-thousand strong band of away fans were not the only ones who staged a protest before this Premiership encounter and their Fir Park counterparts also had a message that they wanted heard.

Banners that read ‘Heavy hands’ and ‘Empty stands’ were displayed in the section that the Well bois fill with noise and colour. The seats remained empty until the 15th minute.

READ MORE: Michael Beale on Rangers to England, Premiership split and B Teams

By that time, Kettlewell’s side were already a goal to the good as Van Veen converted from close range and those that opted not to take their seats missed the moment that brought the home crowd to their feet. Many started to filter down the stairs before their scheduled arrival time and they were soon in full voice as Motherwell set their sights on victory.

The group had previously raised a number of concerns – including access arrangements for tifo displays and action the club has taken against supporters – and insisted that their decision was ‘not taken lightly’ as they chose to withhold their backing for the first quarter of an hour.


Kettlewell had outlined all the qualities that his side would need to possess if they were to beat Rangers as he acknowledged the size of the task that lay ahead earlier in the week.

He also hailed the contribution of striker Van Veen and Kettlewell couldn’t have wished for a better start as the Dutchman netted his 18th goal of the campaign. The outcome of the VAR review didn’t look convincing but the effort stood as Van Veen converted a Max Johnston cross.

Motherwell never looked like building on their advantage, though, and they created little to worry Rangers until Beale’s side shot themselves in the foot. The defending in the build-up to the second goal was woeful and Mugabi capitalised with a finish from close range.

But that never looked like being the foundation upon which Motherwell would stake their claim for victory. Within minutes, they were behind again and chasing it.

When Tillman made it 4-2, that was that and the dismissal of Callum Slattery compounded the problems for the Steelmen. This was an afternoon that promised much for Motherwell early on but one that ultimately delivered nothing as Kettlewell lost for the first time as boss.