Lawrence Shankland struck what is sure to be considered a potential goal of the season as Dundee United fought out their latest draw with St Johnstone.

Shankland's breathtaking finish from almost the halfway line early in the second-half left Zander Clark, the visiting goal-keeper, helpless and his own team-mates nothing short of delirious.

The Scotland striker's effort undoubtedly deserved a wider audience but at least prevented Micky Mellon's side from slumping to defeat having initially taken an early lead through Louis Appere, before their Perth opponents went ahead courtesy of first-half headers from Guy Melamed and Chris Kane.

Shankland succeeded in stealing the limelight thereafter and perhaps not surprisingly this re-arranged contest finished with honours even, making it the third such time these two sides have drawn in the Premiership this season.

“It was a special goal,” said manager Mellon afterwards.

“Lawrence doesn't look up. He just knows where the goal is.

“He struck it so cleanly. It was like a golfer striking a drive - that kind of noise.

“It was so straight and so true that you think to yourself that's got a chance of going in.

“It's just a ridiculous moment to see it hit the back of the net.”

The game was controversially called off at 1pm on Saturday after two inspections which prompted St Johnstone to request an SPFL investigation.

What nobody could dispute was the fact that neither side went into this fixture in anything like decent form.

United had managed only one victory in seven games while their opponents' form was much worse, having secured just one win in eleven outings.

Neither had come out on top either in their two previous meetings this season. They began the Premiership campaign with a 1-1 draw at Tannadice before sharing the spoils once more in a goalless draw at McDiarmid Park back in October.

The hosts attempted to freshen things up from the side which had drawn 0-0 with Aberdeen at Pittodrie, with Dillon Powers replacing Peter Pawlett.

For the visitors, they were minus Danny McNamara who'd returned to Millwall following his loan spell in Perth while there were starts for Liam Craig, David Wotherspoon and Melamed.

There was a minute's applause for legendary manager Jim McLean prior to kick-off following his recent passing.

United took the lead in just fine eleven minutes. Nkicky Clark cut the ball back for Appere who finished from six yards past Clark.

However, their lead was short-lived. Davidson Wotherspoon's 16th minute corner found Melamed and he rose unchallenged to squeeze his downward header past Benjamin Siegrist.

Melamed was proving hard to contain and had another effort at goal soon after. This time, though, Siegrist managed to hold comfortably.

But Wotherspoon worked his magic with another assist seven minutes before half-time.

His touch and cross were both perfect for Kane whose glancing header sailed outwith the reach of Siegrist and into the far corner.

Shankland's equaliser in 53 minutes was sensational. Appere's lay-off found him five yards inside the Saints half and he sent a first-time effort high into the net over the head of Clark who attempted in vain to scamper back.

Melamed and Scott Tanser, the substitute, had opportunities to win it for Callum Davidson's visitors towards the end, but again these sides couldn't be separated.

“I thought the first-half was pretty even but in the second-half they didn't create any chances apart from a wonder strike,” said Davidson.

“I didn't think he was going to shoot but it was just a wonder goal and sometimes you have to hold your hands up.

“He has the capability to do that and he showed that tonight."