Avert your eyes. A day which had started with so much promise for GB&I here at Hoylake ended with a grisly scoreboard which really should have been placed behind a police cordon.

With a thoroughly dominant singles display, the USA raced to Walker Cup glory with such a surge, Nathaniel Crosby’s side were in danger of getting a speeding ticket from the Merseyside Constabulary.

Leading 7-5 heading into the final day, GB&I narrowly lost the morning foursomes but were still a point ahead going into the final series of 10 singles.

The US class prevailed in emphatic fashion, however, as the visitors blitzed the session 8-2 to retain the cherished old trophy they had won with such comprehensive pomp in Los Angeles two years ago.

The singles romp yesterday mirrored the 8-2 thrashing the US doled out in the man-to-man jousts in 2017 and it gave them a 15 ½ - 10 ½ victory.

The “wee wind” that GB&I skipper Craig Watson had hoped would pick up over the redoubtable Royal Liverpool links failed to materialise on another calm day.

Instead, the home side were blown away by a fearsome American hurricane. If momentum is a key weapon in team golf, then the US got it going early. In six of the 10 ties, they won the first hole to make early statements of intent.

READ MORE: MacIntyre second again on the European Tour

“If you were ahead early, then pars were enough to stay ahead because birdies were going to be few and far between and the American boys did that very well,” conceded Watson.

“I don’t think the conditions had anything to do with the fact that the Americans outplayed us today.”

Back in 1921, a meeting between GB&I and US golfers at Hoylake, which was a precursor to the first official Walker Cup a year later, ended in an American victory.

In 1983, when the event was last held here, the USA won again. This latest triumph on the Wirral gave the US a first away win in the biennial battle since 2007. There weren’t many home comforts for the GB&I boys on a sobering afternoon.

For Crosby, the son of the late, great Bing, it wasn’t so much a case of dreaming of a White Christmas, more a whitewash as his on-song men went on a charging offensive during the singles.

Amid the onslaught, Nairn’s Sandy Scott stood firm and engineered a fine 4&3 win over the highly-rated world No 8 Brandon Wu.

The National:

Three-under through seven holes, Scott found himself five-up after eight but when Wu holed his second shot at the ninth for an eagle, the American won the next two holes to get back to within striking distance.

Scott showed his mettle, though, and birdied 12 and 14 to pull away again. It provided a rare moment of cheer for the beleaguered GB&I camp.

Scott’s compatriot, Euan Walker, went down 2&1 to John Pak as the US stamped so much authority on proceedings there were just about dents in the Hoylake turf.

Six of the first seven ties were gobbled up the US with John Augenstein’s 4&3 win over Thomas Plumb pushing them over the winning line.

The National:

Rather like listening to the crooning of his faither, the results drifting in on the on-course walkie-talkies must have been music to the ears of Crosby.

“I spent a year and a half hand-selecting this group of talent and I got the team that I wanted,” said Crosby who was part of that winning side of 1983.

“We were a crazy mix of personalities but all blended well. It was almost too much fun but after Saturday we sobered up and really focused. It was an amazing afternoon.”