NEWTONMORE successfully rebooted their season with a 3-1 home win over Glenurquhart in their MacTavish Cup semi-final at the Eilean.

PJ Mackintosh’s side are the holders, and although they have had a disappointing start to their Marine Harvest Premiership campaign, they proved in this game that they still have enough ability to get past a Glenurquhart team that they have found difficult to beat in recent cup campaigns.

Indeed, manager Mackintosh did not have his troubles to seek just before the start when he lost wing-back Andy Mackintosh in the warm-up and had to rejig his defence and bring in veteran Kenny Ross at full-centre.

Glenurquhart might have taken advantage of this situation, but an early thrust by front man Conor Golabek was frustrated when he was tripped outside the “D” and the resulting free hit was wasted.

James MacPherson missed another Glenurquhart opportunity before Newtonmore got into their stride with winger Drew MacDonald’s low shot bringing out a neat save from Glen keeper Garry Mackintosh.

Newtonmore dominated for a spell in the first half but had little to show for it except for a strike by half-forward Steven Macdonald which flew back off the post while at the other end ‘More keeper Norman Campbell kept out an excellent strike from MacPherson.

Glenurquhart opened the second period on the front foot but, with the Newtonmore defence on top form, the visitors found it hard to hold the ball up long enough to get further strikes in on Campbell’s goal.

Newtonmore eventually went ahead on the hour mark when striker Glen Mackintosh picked up a cross-field ball from youngster Iain Robinson and his strike deflected off Glen full-back John Barr into the net.

Newtonmore doubled their lead after 70 minutes when Drew MacDonald finished from close range, although Glenurquhart had some cause for complaint in that half-back Andy Corrigan had been fouled before the chance had been set up.

There was no dubiety about the third goal, however, which came about five minutes from time as a result of a piece of play initiated by Newtonmore full-back Rory Kennedy.

He broke down a Glenurquhart attack and drove the ball forward through the midfield where it was eventually fell to Glen Mackintosh, who dinked it home over the outstretched leg of Glen keeper Garry Mackintosh.

Alhough the last few minutes were marred by a hand injury to the Glen’s international defender John Barr which might curtail his season, the visitors were eventually rewarded for their persistence with a 90th-minute goal from substitute Neale Reid.

Newtonmore now await the result of next week’s clash between Kinlochshiel and Kilmallie to find out who they will meet in the final on June 10 at Inverness’s Bught Park.

There was cup action in the south shinty area, too, with the two semi-finals of the Gregor Cameron Celtic Society Cup taking place.

The tightest of these was at Inveraray where visitors Oban Camanachd enjoyed the majority of the play but could only win by a solitary first-half goal courtesy of Scotland international Daniel Cameron.

In the other semi-final, Kyles Athletic proved too strong for Glasgow Mid Argyll, winning 3-0 with two strikes by Scott MacDonald and a single from Thomas Whyte.

Oban now face Kyles in the final on June 26 at Taynuilt.

There were two fixtures in the Marine Harvest Premiership. Home side Lovat improved their league position thanks to a 1-0 victory over Lochaber.

Kingussie, meanwhile, kept up the pressure on league leaders Kyles with a 2-0 away win at Kilmallie courtesy of two early goals from striker Ryan Borthwick.