THE longest running monopoly in the history of Scottish football finally came to an end last night when Hibernian scored a dramatic injury time winner to win the SWPL Cup at Ainslie Park and mirror the achievements of the Scottish Cup-winning men's side. The goal ended a run of fourteen successive domestic trophies for Glasgow City.

For nearly all the Hibs squad it was a novel experience, with only captain Joelle Murray and midfielder Lisa Robertson having previously won winners’ medals. Hibs last won a trophy in 2011 in the same competition when they beat Spartans in the final.

The winning goal was due to the persistence of Scotland internationalist Lizzie Arnot. She prevented the ball going out of play then sent in a low cross which appeared to deflect into the net off Glasgow City keeper Gemma Fay.

“It’s absolutely amazing,” Murray said. “We waited so long for this and we deserved it. We played so well tonight.

“I’m just delighted for the other girls. It’s a first for a lot of them. Prior to that it was the Kim Little era. Lizzie, as ever, chased after the ball and kept it in when it looked like going out.”

The final was in many aspect to the one between the teams last season, with Hibs having the better of the first half and City, despite the crushing blow which was to await them, edging the second.

Despite that, it was the holders who took the first half lead on the half hour. Fay had earlier saved her side with a great save from a Lisa Robertson volley before Julie Fleeting scored the opener following a Leanne Ross corner.

Hibs needed a quick response and they got it five minutes later. Savannah McCarthy brought Kirsty Smith down in the box and Morag Pirie pointed to the spot. Arnot, who was later to be the heroine, had her penalty saved by Fay and then failed to connect properly with the rebound. Fortunately for Hibs Lucy Graham was on hand to fire home the equaliser.

The second half saw both sides create several chances. An audacious Lucy Graham volley from just inside the City half nearly brought Hibs a goal, and then at the other end Hayley Lauder hit a post and Murray headed the follow-up attempt off the line.

Extra time looked inevitable until Arnot struck. Referee Pirie waved away City protests that there had been an infringement in the build-up and Hibs were free to celebrate.