GLASGOW City maintained their domination of women’s football when they swept aside closest rivals Hibernian Ladies to win the Scottish Cup in atrocious conditions at Ainslie Park.

All three goals – one near the end of the first half and the other two shortly before the final whistle – were scored by 20-year-old Irish striker Clare Shine. Although two were aided by Hibs’ defensive errors, Shine took her chances with aplomb when left one-on-one with keeper Jenna Fife.

The high wind and driving rain combined with the artificial surface to make it difficult for both sides to play their quick passing football, but City coped much better and were rarely put under pressure by a disappointing Hibs side.

Shine wasn’t a first-choice player until recently, but under Scott Booth, himself a former striker, she has found a more deadly game and last week scored five against Rangers. “I’m absolutely delighted to get a hat-trick considering the conditions and the opposition,” she said. “It was my first Scottish Cup final, so it was a dream come true.”

After picking up his second trophy since replacing Eddie Wolecki Black, Booth said: “She’s a goalscorer and she’s getting better and better.

“Defensively we were really strong today. That has been key to being successful against Hibs this season.”

Hibs head coach Chris Roberts said: “It was just a bad day at the office. We didn’t test the City back four enough or turn them.

“It just didn’t click for us. We didn’t get on the ball enough, or dominate possession enough to get our attacking players on the ball further up the park.”

City seemed to have suffered an early blow when left-back Nicola Docherty fell heavily but she recovered before being replaced by Susan Fairlie midway though the half.

Shortly after, Hayley Lauder came closest to breaking the deadlock after picking the ball up 25 yards out and sending a left-foot shot across Fife – only to see it hit the inside of the far post and rebound back out.

Hibs were struggling in the wind to get anywhere near Lee Alexander, and when they did break forward the City holding midfielders Erin Cuthbert and Jo Love provided cover.

Chloe Arthur did release Lia Tweedie with a clever reverse pass, but was offside. although the striker forced a save from Alexander she was in any case offside.

After holding out for almost the whole of the half, Hibs went behind four minutes from the break. It was unfortunate, to say the least, for right-back Emma Brownlie, whose poor back-pass was latched on to by Shine who slammed the ball past Fife.

The wind died a little at half time which denied Hibs the same advantage as their opponents but, even so, the champions took an even firmer grip on the game.

Cuthbert, who had an excellent game, almost doubled the advantage, but hit the bar.

Abi Harrison had a rare chance for Hibs at the other end before the game was held up for several minutes because of an collar bone injury to City forward Abbi Grant, who was stretchered off. and taken to hospital in some distress.

Cuthbert, with an excellent driving run and shot, which Fife did well to deflect for a corner, again came close to ending the contest. That moment arrived two minutes from the end when Shine capitalised on an Denise O’Sullivan through ball – and in the ample injury time she repeated the feat, again running through to beat Fife.