LET me see if I have got this right. The SNP conference will debate a motion from First Minister Humza Yousaf and seconded by SNP Westminster leader Stephen Flynn saying: “Conference believes that if the SNP subsequently wins the most SEATS at the General Election in Scotland, the Scottish Government is empowered to begin immediate negotiations with the UK Government to give democratic effect to Scotland becoming an independent country.”

So if the SNP win only 29 out of the 57 Westminster seats and, say, only 40% of the vote, we will simply ignore the wishes of the other 60% of the Scottish electorate, the 28 other MPs and begin immediate negotiations with the UK Government?

Good luck with that. In the words of John McEnroe at Wimbledon in 1981: “You cannot be serious.”

Brian Lawson