A SCOTTISH engineering firm has been fined after a worker lost two of his fingers in an accident involving a rotary fan.

A worker employed by Edwards Engineering Limited in Perth had been carrying out maintenance work on a grain dryer at the East of Scotland Farmers facility on June 28 2020 when the incident occurred.

The fan was rotating at 1200 revolutions per minute when the worker inadvertently placed his hand onto the blades of the unguarded machine.

It resulted in the worker’s little and ring fingers being amputated and him being off work for seven weeks.

READ MORE: Trident failure: Missile launch fails and 'plops' into sea

A Health and Safety Executive investigation into the incident found Edwards Engineering Limited failed to risk assess the task.

The investigation found there was no risk assessment undertaken on the day of the incident nor any safe working procedure.

Principal inspector at the Health and Safety Executive Fiona MacNeill said: “This incident could so easily have been avoided by simply following a safe working procedure which would have prevented access to dangerous moving parts.

“Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”

The firm pleaded guilty to breaching work safety regulations and was fined £10,000 at Perth Sheriff Court on February 16.