CAT owners have been warned to look out for symptoms of suspected poisoning after at least five animals have died.

The Scottish Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SSPCA) have warned owners in Angus after a number of incidents were reported throughout December, all in the Threewells Drive area of Forfar.

At least five cats have died from suspected poisonings and a further two were reported.

After they were made directly aware of the deaths, the SSPCA warned owners to be vigilant and shared the symptoms of suspected poisoning.

READ MORE: Scottish scientists could eliminate animal testing with invention

The cats affected all showed signs associated with poisoning, which include:

  • lack of co-ordination
  • vomiting
  • dilated eyes
  • dehydration
  • cold
  • lethargy
  • fits

Alastair Adams, the SSPCA's acting chief inspector, said: “Using poison, or any dangerous item, with the intent of deliberately harming animals is a crime and is enforceable by law.

We would urge all pet owners to be vigilant in the Threewells Drive area.

“If your pet shows any signs that they may have been poisoned, take them to the vet immediately.

“If anyone has any information about these incidents or that toxic substances are being deliberately used against animals, then we would urge them to contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”