A MAN has died and two children were rushed to hospital after an incident outside a Scottish football stadium.

Another man was also hospitalised in the collision, which happened after Queen of the South and Dundee United played a Scottish cup tie in Dumfries.

Police said that the 76-year-old driver of a Vauxhall Crossland car was pronounced dead at the scene after the vehicle crashed into three pedestrians and two other cars.

The two 12-year-old children and one man, 46, were taken to Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary “for treatment to non-life threatening injuries”, officers said.

Queen of the South and Dundee United both released statements after the incident, which happened around 5:50pm on Saturday.

A Queen of the South spokesperson said: "Everyone at the club is devastated with respect to the incident that took place in the Arena car park immediately following the end of today's match with Dundee United.

"Our thoughts are very much with those involved. We would like to thank everyone who helped, including the emergency services, stewards, personnel from both clubs and those supporters who stepped up to help. Thank you all."

And a Dundee United spokesperson said: "The thoughts of everyone at Dundee United are with those involved in an incident following this afternoon's Scottish Cup tie.

"Alongside Queen of the South, we would like to thank the emergency services and our Club Doctor Stephen Galbraith for their prompt response."

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “We were made aware of a collision between a car, three pedestrians and two parked cars in a car park at Lochfield Road in Dumfries shortly after 5.50pm on Saturday, 25 November.

“The 76-year-old male driver of the Vauxhall Crossland car involved was pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin are aware.

“The three pedestrians – a man aged 46 and two boys both aged 12, were taken to Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary for treatment to non-life threatening injuries.

“A report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal in due course.

“Officers wish to thank all members of the public for their assistance at the incident.”

Queen of the South won the Scottish Cup match on penalties after normal time ended in a 2-2 draw.