A LARGE stretch of road in Glasgow's east end was locked down for hours as emergency services probed the existence of dangerous substances inside a flat.

Fire crews raced to the scene on Shettleston Road around 11.40am on Tuesday morning to reports of a flat on fire.

Residents within the building were evacuated after potentially hazardous materials were allegedly discovered.

The occupants of adjacent flats could be seen inside of the neighbouring buildings suggesting only one tenement had been cleared.

The National:

The National:

The National:

The National:

A major blue light response engulfed the scene as police cordoned off four streets adjacent to Shettleston Road for hours as the substances were investigated.

Fernan Street, St Mark Street, Blair Street and Old Shettleston Road were all closed off with blue tape and several First Bus services were forced to divert.

The roads were fully reopened around 5pm.

Police Scotland would not confirm if any substances found were dangerous or if any arrests had been made.

A spokesperson for the force said an investigation into the incident remains ongoing.

The National:

The National:

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service’s Hazmat Support Unit was pictured on the scene and appeared to be testing a substance beneath a bus shelter before two firefighters clad in protective suits entered the property around 2.30pm.

Wearing masks and what appeared to be oxygen tanks, the specialist team entered a flat on the second floor of the tenement building.

The officers returned around ten minutes later with two bottles which were hosed down and removed from the scene.

Meanwhile, residents expressed growing frustration at being kept out of their homes without any information about the nature of the incident.

One resident, dangling the keys to their flat, told the Glasgow Times: “I was told I was allowed home and then I wasn’t allowed home as I got to the door.

“They threatened to arrest me for protesting. I live just down the road.

Another added: “It’s ridiculous, we’re stuck outside and it’s freezing.”

A spokesperson for Police Scotland said: "Around 12.35pm on Tuesday, November 14, police were called to a property in Shettleston Road, Glasgow, following the discovery of potentially hazardous substances within.

"Local road closures were put in place and a number of local residents were evacuated as a precaution, however these were lifted around 5pm and residents returned.

"Police enquiries are continuing."