A FAMILY has been left “traumatised” after they found 40 dead sheep in bin bags in an Argyll forest.

Morven Woodcroft, 50, from Glasgow was on holiday in Lochgilphead with her husband and five-year-old grandson when they came across the gruesome scene.

The grandmother said she believed the bags were piles of rubbish for fly tipping before spotting legs poking out from the bags dumped on the forest trail.

She told the Daily Record: “We were taking our grandson for a walk through the forest because it was a really nice day and hoped to get some photos.

READ MORE: SNP say they'll force Labour to 'undo Brexit' after next election

“My husband and I spotted the bags on the path. As we got closer the smell hit us – it was disgusting.

“Then we noticed legs sticking out the bags. I was nearly sick. There must have been around 40 dead sheep stuffed into the bin bags and there was another pile in the other direction. It was so traumatising. I didn’t want to look.

“They had obviously been there for a while and it was a really hot day. The smell was overpowering.”

She added that her grandson got “really upset” when he saw them and that “he was scared and wanted to go home”.

Woodcroft reported the findings to the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) as well as Argyll and Bute Council.

An animal health inspector investigated the incident and a local farmer was given guidance on disposing waste.

A spokesperson for SEPA said: “On Tuesday April 25 2023, SEPA received a report from a member of the public of sheep carcasses in a wooded area of Achnamara.

“This report was referred to animal health officers at Argyll and Bute Council in relation to fallen animals and carcass disposal, who advised that burial is permitted at this location.

“Other waste materials were identified alongside the sheep and guidance was provided to the land owner regarding the proper disposal of this.

READ MORE: Gerry Hassan: Britain’s fossilised monarchy is losing its touch

“We would like to thank the member of the public who reported this to us.”

A spokesperson for Argyll and Bute Council said: “Our animal health inspector visited the location last week and, following discussion with the farmer, appropriate action was taken and the matter resolved.”