A PROBE has been launched into the sex-pest accused former Tory whip whose scandalous resignation triggered the collapse of Boris Johnson's government.

Chris Pincher is now officially under investigation over allegations – which he denies – he groped a man in a private members’ club in London earlier this year.

The former Tory deputy chief whip, who dramatically quit his Government role on June 30 after allegedly assaulting two fellow guests at the exclusive Carlton Club in London the evening before, is under investigation by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards.

READ MORE: Tories call for General Election as race to No 10 enters final stages

Kathryn Stone opened the investigation on October 20, citing “actions causing significant damage to the reputation of the House as a whole, or of its members generally”.

Pincher was the Tory MP for Tamworth in Staffordshire but now sits as an independent in the Commons after the Conservative whip was removed following a formal complaint to the parliamentary watchdog that examines allegations of bullying, harassment or sexual misconduct.

The Independent Complaints and Grievance Scheme (ICGS) reportedly dropped the complaint in the first instance because the alleged incident did not occur on the Parliamentary estate.

It has now confirmed an investigation will take place. 

Stone, the commissioner for standards in Parliament, is responsible for alleged breaches of the Commons code of conduct.

Pincher’s bombshell resignation triggered a fresh wave of controversy just days after the launch of an investigation into whether the former prime minister had lied to parliament over the Partygate scandal.

READ MORE: Boris Johnson allies humiliated as he ditches bid for No 10 – without telling them

But Johnson’s government ploughed on until ministers began to grow concerned over the changing story coming out of Downing Street about who knew what and when about Pincher.

It emerged that Johnson had previously promoted Pincher during his time at the Foreign Office, despite being aware of similar and unresolved allegations about the MP.

Sajid Javid, then-health secretary, announced he would quit on July 5, followed seconds later by ex-chancellor Rishi Sunak, triggering a tsunami of resignations. 

A mountain of ministers and other officials resigned in the ensuing exodus from government and Johnson was forced to announce his intention to quit on July 7. He would not officially step down until September 6.