TWO arrests have been made in connection with a breach of the peace amid the proclamation ceremony publicly announcing King Charles III as the new monarch, police have confirmed. 

Ahead of the ceremony, republican campaigners urged those attending the event to object to Charles being made monarch without "public ascent or mandate".

Charles was officially proclaimed King on Saturday at the Accession Council in the state apartments of St James’s Palace.

READ MORE: What will happen on Sunday as the Queen's coffin is taken to Edinburgh?

After a second proclamation at St James's later that morning, announcements are set to be made in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales on Sunday. 

In Edinburgh, the proclamation was made at the Castle Drawbridge at around noon and some of the crowd met the announcement with booing. 

Minutes before it began, a female protester appeared at the Mercat Cross and held a sign which said: “F*** imperialism, abolish the monarchy.”

 

Police appeared and then took the protester (pictured) away moments laterAn Accession Proclamation Ceremony at Mercat Cross, Edinburgh, publicly proclaiming King Charles III as the new monarch.

Police appeared and then took her away moments later.

One man shouted: “Let her go! It’s free speech!” while others shouted: “Have some respect.”

Police Scotland later confirmed that the female protester had been arrested.

A spokeswoman for Police Scotland said: “A 22-year-old woman was arrested outside St Giles’ Cathedral, Edinburgh, on Sunday 11 September 2022 in connection with a breach of the peace.”

A second arrest was made involving a 74-year-old man near Holyroodhouse at around 3.50pm, also in connection with a breach of the peace.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "A 74-year-old man was arrested in the vicinity of the Palace of Holyroodhouse around 3.50pm on Sunday, 11 September, 2022 in connection with a breach of the peace.”

A number of protesters and activists have already targetted Cardiff Castle in Wales, where the same announcement was made. 

Ahead of the ceremony anti-Royal group Our Republic, wrote on Twitter: "The proclamation of Charles Mountbatten-Windsor as King will take place in Edinburgh tomorrow.

"It'll be declared at Mercat Cross and Edinburgh Castle Drawbridge at noon.

"We encourage those with objections to these proclamations to make those clear."

The group also set up a Facebook event for the stunt, with 64 people responding to the invite.

They say the appointment of Charles as the monarch is happening "without public ascent or mandate". 

The social media page added: "We encourage those who would wish to make their thoughts clear on this anti-democratic ascension to gather at the place of that proclamation.

READ MORE: Anti-abortion lobbyists met MSPs at Scottish Parliament more than 100 times​

"We will be there. Join us."

We have reported in this week's Sunday National how republicans have vowed to step up campaigning against the monarchy in the run-up to the King's coronation. 

Republican groups temporarily suspended activities in the wake of the news of the Queen's death as a mark of respect. 

Huge crowds have started to gather in front of the Mercat Cross ahead of the proclamation of the King just after 11.30am.

Thousands of people have lined the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, with dozens holding up their phones and cameras to take pictures of the cross.

Members of the City of Edinburgh Council were seen leaving the City Chambers wearing red robes.