SCOTTISH Tory leader Douglas Ross has finally addressed whether Boris Johnson should resign over the Downing Street parties scandal after the Sue Gray report was published.

The Moray MP, who said in January that Johnson should resign before U-turning because of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, accepts that Johnson should step down … but not until the war in Ukraine is over.

The part-time linesman made the comments in an interview with Sky News on Wednesday afternoon.

On Tuesday, the SNP called on Ross to resubmit his letter of no-confidence in the Prime Minister.

Speaking outside the Scottish Parliament, Ross said that the “damaging” Sue Gray report highlights a culture that’s “not acceptable at any time” – whether during lockdown or not.

Douglas Ross spoke to Sky News

“I did say the Prime Minister’s position back in January and the only thing for me that’s changed since then is the war in Ukraine,” he told the broadcaster.

“For me as recently as yesterday we heard from President Zelenskyy about the crucial phase we’re in and how he’s seeing more and more attacks in Mariupol, how that city is being destroyed.”

He added that he doubted the UK could continue to support Zelenskyy and Ukraine overall if the country is “destabilised” by the changing of a prime minister.

Asked if he would reinstate his call for Johnson to go if and when the war is over, Ross said: “Well that has always been my only reason to continue to withdraw my letter. It has been about the situation in Ukraine. I’d love that war to be over, right now, today, tomorrow.

“The Prime Minister doesn’t have my unqualified support, it has been because of the situation in Ukraine.”

READ MORE: The most damning lines of the Sue Gray report - from vomiting to karaoke

Asked again if he would call for Johnson to go when the war is over, Ross said: “Well, let’s see where we are but my position changed because of Ukraine.

“My position changed because of the war in Ukraine and that’s the only thing that changed it. Let’s see if we can end that war sooner rather than later but I can only answer based on the circumstances right now.”

The journalist then cut in: “What you’re saying is the war in Ukraine is the only thing that’s reversed your position?"

“Yes,” replied Ross.

“Therefore when the war in Ukraine’s over you’ll reverse it back, correct?” the reporter asked.

“That’s what I said,” said the MP.

READ MORE: Sue Gray report: Most damning pictures include Boris Johnson boozing in Downing Street

In a separate interview, Ross said if the Privileges Committee found Johnson had intentionally misled the House of Commons, there was an “expectation” he would have to stand down.

The MSP said: “If they reach a conclusion that the Prime Minister deliberately and intentionally went to the House of Commons to mislead people, then the ministerial code is actually very clear. The expectation is that the Prime Minister or any minister should stand down.

“I think that’s why it’s absolutely vital that the Privileges Committee are now given the opportunity to look at every single piece of evidence, everything that was said, everything that was done, every picture that’s available, and crucially interview everyone they need to to get to the bottom of this, because this is a very serious accusation and the Prime Minister has to be able to answer all the questions.”

He said he was “angry about what happened”.

Ross said he had been angered “by the way this has been handled, originally dismissed and then issues, you know, having to be dragged out or people involved, both politicians and people who are in a very privileged position to serve and within the civil service or within the party of government.

“These people were put into these positions to make difficult choices and decisions, they had to follow them because they expected everyone else to follow them.”

Ross had spoken out about pictures of the Prime Minister at Downing Street gatherings, published by ITV earlier this week.

He said the images would make people “very angry”.

“The Prime Minister must outline why he believes this behaviour was acceptable. To most, these pictures seem unjustifiable and wrong,” he went on.

On Wednesday, Johnson said he “overwhelmingly” believes he should remain in office despite public anger at the “bitter and painful” conclusions of the inquiry into raucous parties in No 10 during the coronavirus lockdown.

The Prime Minister recognised that people are “indignant” over the damning findings of Sue Gray’s inquiry into law-breaking at the heart of Government but defied fresh calls to resign.

READ MORE: Boris Johnson faces intense scrutiny after release of Sue Gray report

He said he takes “full responsibility” for the scandal but sought to play down his personal involvement in the gatherings detailed in the report by the senior official.

The Gray report gave details of gatherings at which officials drank so much they were sick, sang karaoke, became involved in altercations and abused security and cleaning staff at a time when millions of people across the country were unable to see friends and family.

Johnson told a Downing Street press conference: “I understand why people are indignant and why people have been angry at what took place.”

But pressed whether he ever considered resigning, he responded: “I overwhelmingly feel it is my job to get on and deliver.

“No matter how bitter and painful that the conclusions of this may be – and they are – and no matter how humbling they are, I have got to keep moving forward and the Government has got to keep moving. And we are.”