POLICE Scotland has insisted a “proportionate” plan was in place at the Old Firm derby this weekend after Celtic and Rangers fans reportedly attacked each other with “missiles”.

In statements released after the game, Rangers said supporters were “attacked by bottles and other missiles” at Celtic Park on Sunday. Celtic also complained that projectiles were thrown into the home end.

The Ibrox club said it has received reports of injuries to elderly and disabled supporters and is set to report “possible hate crimes” to Police Scotland.

Rangers drew 1-1 with Celtic in the cinch Premiership encounter, which kept the Hoops six points clear of their Old Firm rivals at the top of the table with three fixtures remaining.

The incident came following the final whistle and was documented on BBC Radio Scotland. Host Richard Gordon and pundits Neil McCann and Pat Bonner provided live updates as part of their post-match coverage.

Gordon said: "We can clearly see items being tossed both from the Rangers fans at the Celtic fans and from the Celtic fans into [the Rangers] section.

“The stewards were there, the police were there, and the area was well marshalled.

“But something sparked one set of fans. And then you saw a rush from the Celtic fans towards them.

"They can’t get anywhere near them as the stewards are making sure that’s the case.

“And the Rangers fans can’t get out but something happened.”

The National:

In a statement, a Rangers spokesperson said: “We are disappointed with the police response after the Old Firm derby at Parkhead today.

“Our support was left unprotected as they were attacked by bottles and other missiles.

“Reports so far include injuries to elderly and disabled supporters.

“Furthermore, we are collating evidence of possible hate crimes which will be reported to Police Scotland as a matter of urgency.

“We intend to raise our concerns with Police Scotland and Celtic during the debrief.”

In a Celtic statement by way of response, the Parkhead club referred back to the trip to Ibrox last month when at half-time in the 2-1 win a member of their backroom staff was allegedly struck by a glass bottle which required him to have stitches.

The statement also claimed that Hoops fans were “targeted with missiles” at Celtic Park.

A spokesperson for Celtic said: “We are still working through the recent events at Ibrox, including the assaults on our staff members and supporters.

“It is extremely regrettable that again our supporters have been targeted with missiles, including bottles and seating, ripped from our seating deck, resulting in injury to fans and stewards.

“We will be liaising with all relevant parties in order that a wide range of issues are fully addressed in the appropriate manner.”

Chief Superintendent Stevie Dolan defended the force’s conduct.

He said: “Police Scotland had a proportionate plan in place to support the safety operation led by Celtic FC at Sunday’s match and to deal swiftly with any acts of violence, disorder and anti-social behaviour.

“I would like to thank the vast majority of fans who enjoyed the fixture and followed club and police advice.

“Eight people were arrested for various offences including disorder, pyrotechnics and religiously aggravated offences. Two of these arrests were within the stadium.

“We are aware of missiles being thrown between groups of supporters within the stadium, one of which struck a police officer who thankfully was not seriously injured.

“Any reports we receive from members of the public relating to match-related incidents will be investigated.

“Further enquiries into disorder on Fielden Street before the match are being carried out and we will continue to work in partnership with football clubs to ensure that such events take place safely.

“Anyone with any information relating to any of these incidents should contact Police Scotland via 101.”