A FAMILY of four were injured in the explosion which has obliterated a house in Ayr.

A woman aged 43 and a boy aged 16 are being treated in Glasgow Royal Infirmary, and a man aged 47 is being treated in the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow. An 11-year-old boy is being treated in the Royal Hospital for Sick Children. They are all said to be in a serious conditon.

Residents have been evacuated from part of the Kincaidston area following the incident on Monday evening.

Social media users said they heard the explosion from miles away, while pictures shared online showed at least one house badly damaged with debris lying in the street.

Police Scotland said inquiries were continuing into the cause of the explosion and they will carry out a joint investigation with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.

The National:

READ MORE: Shocking photos show extent of Ayr explosion as four remain in hospital

Chief Inspector Derrick Johnston, area commander for South Ayrshire, said: "Police received a report of an explosion at Gorse Park in the KIncaidston area of Ayr around 7.10pm last night.

"Emergency services attended and a number of houses were evacuated.

"A family of four were taken to hospital.

"A 43-year-old woman and a 16-year-old boy are currently within Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

"A 47-year-old male is currently within Queen Elizabeth University Hospital and an 11-year-old is within the Royal Hospital for Sick Children.

"This is a complex incident and different agencies are working together to establish he full circumstances of what happened.

"Our thoughts are with the family and everyone in the local community affected by this.

"A joint investigation with Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is being carried out."

The National:

Local councillor Chris Cullen told BBC Good Morning Scotland that gas​ caused the explosion.

Describing the scene, he told the programme: "It is quite harrowing actually.

"Early yesterday evening there was a row of houses and now there is a hole.

"Two-and-a-half houses are missing. It is quite shocking how far the debris has fallen and the damage it has caused."

He added: "It has been a gas explosion, the exact details of how that happened aren't released yet."

South Ayrshire Council said it is working with emergency services to determine who will be able to return to their house and who will not due to "ongoing building safety concerns".

It is working to establish a reception centre in the area for anyone returning and said it aims to get people back home as soon as possible, but can only do this once it is confident properties are safe.

The council said: "Once we know who may still require accommodation, our housing teams will work with residents to support them.

"As soon as we are clear where the inner cordon lies we will start the clear-up operation, which requires to be done with sensitivity due to personal effects being included among general debris."

Gas distribution company SGN was helping emergency services.

A spokesman said: "Our engineers are currently assisting the emergency services to ensure the immediate vicinity is made safe in our role as the gas emergency service."