FIREFIGHTERS dealt with more than 500 bonfires yesterday, with some crews attacked as they responded to incidents.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) handled 1193 calls from members of the public between 3.30pm and midnight on November 5.

There were also 13 reported attacks on crews, although there were no reports of any injuries.

Fire crews responded to around 511 bonfires across the country over the eight-and-a-half-hour period.

Among other incidents they dealt with were a house fire in Corrie Drive, Motherwell, which started shortly before 8pm, and a blaze on Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh.

The National:

There was a blaze on Arthur's Seat - photograph from @KMoodz

Reports on social media suggested the fire in Motherwell may have been started by a stray firework.

Assistant Chief Officer Stuart Stevens, SFRS director of service delivery, praised fire crews but condemned attacks on emergency workers.

He said: “Bonfire Night is traditionally one of our busiest nights of the year.

“Our frontline crews and operations control personnel and support staff have shown extreme dedication over this period and I would like to pay tribute to their professionalism and resilience.

“I must also thank our partners and indeed communities across Scotland for their continuing support.”

He added: “Attacks on emergency service workers are completely unacceptable.

“This type of behaviour not only prevents our crews from bringing any emergency to a safe and swift conclusion, but it can impact on our emergency service colleagues, including the police, when they must escort us at the scene.”

Four fire engines were sent to the scene in Corrie Road in Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, following reports of a blaze in a semi-detached, two-storey house on Thursday evening.

One appliance remained at the scene at 6.30am today. There were no reports of any injuries.

In Edinburgh, SFRS received 32 calls reporting a blaze on Arthur’s Seat just before midnight.

Three appliances were sent to the scene where around 40 square metres of gorse were on fire.

Fire crews handed the scene over to park rangers at 1.23am and left the scene, with no reports of any casualties.

The First Minister replied to a comment calling attacks on the fire service deplorable, adding: "Agree absolutely. Last night was a tough one for @fire_scot  crews and they deserve our thanks and support."