A MAN and woman rescued from a munro during lockdown have been formally charged by police for reckless conduct.

The pair travelled 60 miles from Glasgow to climb Beinn A'Chroin, near Crianlarich, on Saturday.

Police Scotland received reports of a 23-year-old woman and 27-year-old man in "difficulty" on the ben at around 2.30pm.

Killin Mountain Rescue Team joined officers to rescue the pair, who had gone out onto the mountain without being "suitably equipped".

They were traced safe and well but have now been charged in connection with culpable and reckless conduct.

A report has been sent to the procurator fiscal in a move backed by Scottish Mountain Rescue.

Chief Inspector Gill Marshall, Police Scotland area commander for Stirling, commented: "The actions of this man and woman and their lack of equipment not only placed themselves at risk of injury, but also the officers and mountain rescue volunteers who were called to assist them.

"The regulations remain that people should only leave the house for very limited purposes, for example for basic necessities, for exercise or recreation, for medical needs or travelling for work which cannot be done from home.

"We recognise that people have made significant sacrifices until now and while the temptation may be to head straight for one of our beauty spots, we would ask people to use their judgement and avoid going to places which are normally busy during the good weather or, in this case, could put individuals' lives at risk. We want people to enjoy our outdoor spaces safely and exercise should be done locally, not exceeding five miles from your home."

Marshall went on: "We will use enforcement as a last resort only where there is a clear breach of the legislation."

Damon Powell, Chair of Scottish Mountain Rescue, added: "We are also aware how deeply frustrating it is when everyone who is making such sacrifices see people openly flouting the guidance. We are pleased to see the police taking action against such individuals."