A NEW poll from YouGov has shown that a majority of Scots now back independence ahead of the UK's departure from the European Union.

The poll shows that 51% support leaving the UK, while 49% remain opposed.

The data reveals that former No voters who voted to Remain in the European Union have switched to backing Yes, alongside younger generations becoming eligible to vote.

One in five (21%) of those who voted No in 2014 but Remain in the EU referendum have now shifted over to Yes.

This poll is the first YouGov poll to show a majority for Yes since 2015.

Despite this however, a majority are not in favour of a referendum in 2020. Instead, they back a return to the question within the next five years.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon shared the poll results on Twitter, saying that they were "interesting".

The data also revealed that she was the most trusted politician in the independence debate, with 46% saying they would trust her compared to just 8% saying they would trust Jackson Carlaw.

Commenting, SNP Depute Leader Keith Brown said: “Brexit, and the chaos of Westminster under the Tories, make it abundantly clear that Scotland should be an independent country.

“This key poll, published just before Scotland is dragged out of the EU against our will, shows that the momentum is well and truly behind the campaign for independence.

“No wonder the Tories are running scared.

“People in Scotland must now have the chance to control their own future.”

The poll was conducted with 1039 Scots over the age of 16, between the 22nd and 27th of January.