THE First Minister visited the scene of a severe blaze which led to the collapse of a tenement yesterday to show her support for residents and the emergency services in attendance.

The fire at the Strawberry and Spice Garden grocery store in Albert Drive, Glasgow, was reported at about 11.30pm on Sunday. Nine fire engines and two height appliances were sent to tackle the fire, which collapsed the building in the Pollokshields area of the city.

Roads were closed as emergency services dealt with the incident, and residents were evacuated from the flats above the shop. One man was taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

According to emergency services, nobody was inside the building when it collapsed.

After her visit to the scene, Nicola Sturgeon tweeted: “Just visited the scene of last night’s devastating fire in Pollokshields in my constituency to say a heartfelt thank you to @fire_scot and @policescotland – it is due to the skill and bravery of our firefighters in particular that no lives were lost in this dreadful incident.

“Many residents and businesses in the area have been affected – some losing their homes.”

She added: “While the first priority is help for those directly affected, the location of this fire makes it a blow to the whole community.

“But Pollokshields is a strong community and I know everyone will rally round.”

Nearby Pollokshields Early Years Centre was shut yesterday because it had no electricity following the fire, while Pollokshields Primary School and Pollokshields Library were also closed.

Scottish Water tweeted that as fire hydrants were in use, this was causing “low pressure and discoloured water to the surrounding streets”.

Glasgow City Council said that arts venue Tramway was made available to anyone who needed somewhere to go during the incident.

Deputy assistant chief officer James McNeil, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service incident commander, said it had been a “challenging and protracted incident”.

“Firstly, I would like to thank our crews for their efforts – working in difficult conditions throughout the night – in bringing this fire under control,” he said. He also thanked the community for their “patience and support” through the incident, as well as other emergency services and the local authority.

Police said that investigations into the blaze were continuing.

Inspector Mags Brennan, who is leading the police response, said: “While we appreciate the disruption to the local community, road closures are in place for safety reasons and will remain there for the foreseeable.

“While our partners are confident that there are no casualties, a joint investigation into the cause of the fire is under way with the fire service and further updates will be provided when available.”