A MAN trapped up a 270ft chimney in Carlisle has died, police have confirmed.

A topless figure, upside down with his legs in the air, was stuck at the top of Dixon's Chimney in Carlisle, Cumbria, for more than 13 hours.

Police were first called at 2.22am to reports of a man trapped on the top of the chimney. 

Paramedics pronounced the man, in his 50s and from Carlisle, dead at the scene at around 4.45pm.

Police officers are with the man's family.

A specialist cherry picker from Scotland has been drafted in to help with the rescue effort.

There is no information on how, or why, the man came to be trapped up the chimney. 

READ MORE: Dixon's Chimney: Police confirm man dangling from tower has died

The National:

Local reports said shouts and wailing could be heard coming from the chimney in the early hours of this morning before police arrived on the scene at around 2.20am.

As early morning mist cleared, the figure could be seen at the top.

A Coastguard helicopter attempted an early morning rescue but the operation was aborted due to the precarious position of the trapped individual.

Fire chiefs at Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service had made a public appeal for a cherry picker or aerial work platform.

Roads around the structure, a prominent local landmark which was built in 1836, have been closed.

Superintendent Matt Kennerley, of Cumbria Police, said: "We are looking at various options to rescue this man safely. So far, the multi-agency response has seen us utilise technology including drones.

"A helicopter has been used to try to rescue the man and efforts have been made to try to drop a technical rescue team on to the chimney to rescue him.

"These two attempts have not been successful so far due to concerns over how securely the man is attached to the ladder at the top of the chimney - and the potential danger of backdrafts from the helicopter.

"These concerns over how securely he is attached have also prevented us from sending someone up the ladder from the bottom. The ladder is also damaged.

"Ladders used by Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service will be mobilised to see if they can assist while we are awaiting the arrival of the cherry picker.

"This is an extremely complex and rare incident and requires the specialisms of all the agencies to work together.

"We are very concerned about the man involved and all those involved in this operation are working tirelessly to bring this to a safe conclusion for all."

Kennerley added: "Police officers are with the man's family offering them support throughout this.

"We would like to thank the public for their patience as we work to safely rescue this man.

"We are doing all we can to minimise disruption to the public and businesses."