RANGERS are closing in on a deal to appoint Derek McInnes as their new manager after the 46-year-old spent the day locked in talks over his future at Aberdeen.

The Ibrox board made their move to land McInnes on Tuesday but were rebuffed in their attempts as the Dons denied them permission to speak to their boss.

McInnes and assistant Tony Docherty did not take charge of first team training yesterday as they held showdown discussions with chairman Stewart Milne.

And there is now likely to be further movement on the situation today as Rangers look to bring their six-week search for Pedro Caixinha’s successor to a close.

The Light Blues have informed Aberdeen that they are willing to meet the compensation fee of around £1 million to secure the services of McInnes and Docherty and are keen to do a deal sooner rather than later.

Dons chief Milne claimed last month that McInnes had “no intention of going anywhere” amid reported interest from Rangers and West Bromwich Albion.

But he spent several hours locked in discussions with his manager yesterday as McInnes seemingly edged closer to the Pittodrie exit door.

Under-20s boss Paul Sheerin and coach Barry Robson took training as the Reds prepare for the Premiership clash with Dundee on Friday evening and their pre-match press conference will be held this afternoon.

Aberdeen have yet to open further dialogue with Rangers but a deal could well be finalised in the next 48 hours.

McInnes will then have to decide whether he wishes to make his debut in the Ibrox dugout against Ross County on Saturday or leave interim boss Graeme Murty at the helm for one final match and take charge for the first time at Easter Road next Wednesday.

The appointment of McInnes is likely to see Murty return to his role in charge of the Light Blues’ Development Squad after he stepped into the dugout for the second time this year.

Docherty, who has been McInnes’ right hand man at St Johnstone, Bristol City and Aberdeen, will follow him to Ibrox but former Gers midfielder Barry Ferguson has dismissed reports he could make a return to the club.

Ferguson has been linked with a coaching role in recent days but insists he has had no approach from the Light Blues.

He said: “I woke up on Monday morning and had numerous texts and missed calls and I don’t know where it’s come from. I’ve not spoken to Derek, I’ve not spoken to Rangers, so for me it was a lot of nonsense.”