THE prospect of Celtic being forced to play Champions League home ties in a partially-closed Parkhead could become a reality this season after a supporter invaded the pitch and attempted to kick Kylian Mbappe during Tuesday’s 5-0 home loss to Paris Saint-Germain.

Uefa confirmed yesterday that it had opened disciplinary proceedings against the club over the incident where a fan raced from behind a goal to confront Mbappe as during the second half of Tuesday night’s Group B encounter.

The Parkhead side have been charged with a count of “field invasion” and will have their case heard by the Uefa control, ethics and disciplinary body on 19 October, a statement from the European governing body said.

While the high profile incident looks bad enough in isolation, even more worrying for the Parkhead side is the fact it is only the latest in a series of 12 Uefa penalties which have cost the club more than £160,000 over six years.

The last came as recently as July, when Celtic were charged £20,600 after an “illicit banner” displayed during their qualifying win over Linfield at Celtic Park, an episode which led to the club announcing a two-game closure of the area of the stadium generally occupied by the Green Brigade.

While the Parkhead side escaped with a £25,000 fine, and no ban, after an intruder confronted AC Milan goalkeeper Dida in 2007, Linfield weren’t dealt with so leniently earlier this season. In addition to a fine of £8,950, the Belfast side were ordered to play their next Uefa match in a partially-closed Windsor Park after trouble in the first leg of that tie including missiles being thrown and a fan confronting Leigh Griffiths.

A 21-year-old Celtic fan from Belfast called John Hatton yesterday admitted assualting Mbappe by attempting to kick him, and also pleaded guilty to behaviour likely to incite public disorder. He was granted bail and sentence was deferred until 11 October for background reports.

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers said he was pleased the rest of the sell-out crowd booed the intruder, adding: “The crowd reaction said it all. It is disappointing at any ground that a supporter gets on to the pitch.

“I am sure the club will deal with that. It shouldn’t be anything that we should see on a football field. The crowd in their reaction told you everything you need to know.’’

Police Scotland have confirmed to The National they made at total of seven arrests at the match.